I am not sure why but everyone really seems to like it when their hardware gets a firmware update. Of course there are many out there that also say if it isn’t broke then don’t fix it so that is also a point.
I guess ultimately it is to each their own.
We already know that Microsoft does not just issue firmware updates for their Surface hardware and accessories just to issue updates because these are the first updates for this series of devices since March of this year.
They issue these updates when there are things to be fixed and this month the second generation Surface devices, Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2, get firmware updates to address a handful of issues each.
Here is the breakdown:
- Surface 2 UEFI (v4.21.500.0) update enhances overall system stability, including boot and reboot scenarios, compatibility with Surface Power Cover, and increased battery life when Surface 2 is not in use.
- System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.50500.0) update enhances the charging behavior of the Power Cover.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.595.0) update improves battery life when using the Power Cover with Surface 2.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.557.0) update improves battery life when used with the Surface Power Cover.
- Audio Driver Set (v 22.214.171.12419) and Display Driver Set (v 126.96.36.19918). This update provides enhanced support for external displays, improves the Miracast experience, and enhances the overall system stability while reducing power consumption in many scenarios.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.583.0) update enhances the experience when using a Surface Cover.
Surface 2 4G LTE
- Wireless Network Controller (v14.62.28061.10179) and Bluetooth (v14.62.28061.10179) update simplifies and improves tethering for Surface 2 4G LTE.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v188.8.131.52) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improves compatibility with Power Cover, and increases the reliability of sleep state transitions. Surface Pro UEFI update also provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
The firmware updates are accessible in Windows Update alongside of the other Patch Tuesday updates that were released today.