Back at the beginning of November in Edition #2 of our Keeping an Eye on Tech Newsletter we told you about Ed Bott’s Jump Start session that was going to be focused on Windows 8.1 for IT Pros.
That five part video series is now available for viewing at your convenience via Microsoft’s Channel 9 portal.
Microsoft released Windows 8 to bring a modern computing experience to businesses and to help professionals stay connected to their colleagues and clients from anywhere, anytime. Windows 8.1 advances this vision and introduces new manageability, mobility, security, user experience and networking capabilities–with the goal of offering customers the best business tablets and versatile modern business PCs driven by the most powerful operating system designed for today’s modern businesses. The course covers the new and updated features in Windows 8.1 with regard to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) scenarios, mobility, security, and the modern user interface.
Part 1 – What’s New in Windows 8.1 for IT Pros- (01) Introducing Windows 8.1
- This module provides an overview of the new UI updates found in Windows 8.1, as well as features such as boot-to-desktop, multi-monitor capabilities, Assigned Access, and the latest updates to Internet Explorer 11. Also, see how to view multiple apps on the screen at once using snap views to easily resize the width of the app window to suit your needs. Depending on screen size and resolution, you can even share the screen with three, or four apps on each monitor.
Part 2 – What’s New in Windows 8.1 for IT Pros- (02) Windows 8.1 Security
- Windows 8.1 offers a full spectrum of new and improved security capabilities – from devices that can be fully locked down by IT, to remote security options to protect employees and your business in a bring your own device (BYOD) environment, to safeguards for personal devices that need to access certain resources from home. Some of the new security features covered in the module include modern access controls, malware resistance, and securing your corporate data.
Part 3 – What’s New in Windows 8.1 for IT Pros- (03) Windows 8.1 Deployment
- See how IT Professionals can use the tools, such as the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit (ADK) to facilitate deployment of Windows 8.1, and inventory applications used in your organization to identify potential application compatibility issues.
Part 4 – What’s New in Windows 8.1 for IT Pros- (04) Windows 8.1 Mobility
- This module provides an overview of the latest in Windows 8.1 mobility and connectivity. See how new features such Native Miracast Wireless Display allows you to display wirelessly by pairing a Miracast-enabled display and Miracast to project your work across Wi-Fi.
Part 5 – What’s New in Windows 8.1 for IT Pros- (05) Mobile Device Management
- This module outlines Microsoft’s people-centric solutions for managing the influx of consumer-oriented devices and the work style expectations of their users.
As I mentioned in the newsletter there is a lot of good information for all Windows 8.1 users in this video series despite the focus being on IT Pros so I highly recommend viewing them to learn a few things about the updated OS.