Welcome to Episode 27 of the Observed Tech PODCAST.
This week we make a couple of big announcements for the site on the show including welcoming Isaac Steinberg as the new Editor in Chief and Contributor for WindowsObserver.com, our new partnership with PC Pitstop and the winners of our PerfectDisk12 giveaway. In the show we covered some interesting news including a new homebrew app for windows Phone 7 that will let you take screenshots on the phone; How To Geek’s LastPass tutorial; how tablets are cutting into PC sales; the astounding amount of bandwidth used online during 2010; the Windows Phone 7.5 tour; an update on the Windows Phone 7.5 roll out; WordPress.com users getting ads for their sites soon; Debt Collectors banned from using Twitter and Facebook in the UK; a shocker of a cell phone bill; the latest social network Chime.in; Building Windows 8 Start menu; and renaming a user account on a Windows system properly.
That last article resulted in an extended discussion on the best way to assume the use of a computer you get from a friend and create your own identity on it, take over theirs or reformat the entire machine.
We closed the show with our normal week in review on WindowsObserver.com
Links to all the stories and sources are in the show notes below.
Enjoy and as always thanks for listening!
- Screen Capturer tool now allows use of camera button in updated version [Homebrew] (WP Central)
- Microsoft results show how iPad is cutting into Windows PCs (Geek Wire)
- More Data Was Transmitted Over the Internet in 2010 Than All Previous Years Combined [VIDEO] (Mashable)
- Microsoft holding events to showcase new Windows Phones (WinRumors)
- Updates- Windows Phone 7.5 now available more broadly (Windows Phone Blog)
- Woman hit with $200,000 cellphone bill (NeoWin)
- WordPress.com Users Can Soon Put Ads on Their Blogs (Mashable)
- Windows Observer- Using a SSD As Your OS Drive in Windows 7 (PC Pitstop)
- Debt Collectors Banned From Twitter And Facebook (All Twitter)
- Designing search for the Start screen (Building Windows 8 Blog)
- The How-To Geek Guide to Getting Started with LastPass (How To Geek)
- New Social Network Combines Twitter, Blogging and Reddit (Mashable)
- Renaming a User Account Does Not Automatically Change the Profile Path (Microsoft Support)
WindowsObserver.com Week in Review:
- Mobile Platforms To Make Large Impact on Gaming Future
- Xbox 360 2011 Holiday Bundles Announced and Available
- Infographic- Facebook and Relationships
- Infographic- The Hubble Space Telescope
- Mobile Social Media Access Growing in Leaps and Bounds
- Halloween Desktop Themes for Windows 7
- Use TweetChat For Your Twitter Hashtag Chats
As mentioned above we closed out our contest and selected three random commenters on the Taking Care of Your Solid State Drives post and are happy to provide each of them with a free license for PerfectDisk12, a $30 value, from Raxco Software. Congratulations to Andrew, John and Sam on their new software and thanks to all the commenters. Contact me so I can get your details for the license sorted out.
Date Produced: 24 October 2011
Format: MP3, 128KBPS
This PODCAST is a member of the TechPodcast Network.