Playerunkown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG), the popular PC game that is being ported to Xbox One through the console’s Game Preview Program, is receiving its first update for console gamers since the title was released last week.
Last Friday, just a few days after it was made available on the Xbox One, the team shared over social media that the game had been downloaded and tried by one million layers in the first 48 hours it was available.
While that is a crazy good response from gamers the preview release has not been without issues. Based on feedback through multiple channels, players are reporting issues with frame rates, draw distances, and game lockups. I myself went through a period of time where 4 or 5 matches in a row locked up on me. Most of the time I was able to get back into the game and still be able to participate in the match but it was frustrating.
Well the PUBG team is hearing the feedback and today released the first major update to the game for Xbox One.
The update is already live and should be waiting on your console under My games & apps > Updates. It clocks in at just over 4GB and makes changes in many areas.
Here is the run down from PUBG:
- Gas can now be used while on bike or bike with sidecar
- Equipment icons on HUD will now be visible
- Player icon is now more clearly visible on the world map
- UI prompts now appear when reload and enter a vehicle options are present
- Tweaked hair color options
- Cleaned up sidecar passenger animations in first person view
- Fixed player camera issues while a passenger on the backseat of a Buggy
- Addressed arm animations specific to holding some weapons
- Character now correctly faces the proper direction when stopping while swimming
- First pass visual and performance improvements
- Slightly improved anti-aliasing on Xbox One and Xbox One S
- Localization updates for Vietnamese, Spanish,(Spain/Mexico)
- Controls on motorcycle no longer inverted
- Keyboard functionality is disabled
- Fixed instances of player nametags not properly displaying in the lobby during Squad and Duo play
- Fixed minor animation while crouching and prone
- Fixed issues where curtains on windows block line of sight of players in the TPP mode
- Fixed an issue where when Squad leader left the party, voice chat ceased to function as intended
- Fixed issue where players could lean out of vehicles even when obstructed
- Fixed collision of cardboard boxes in Yasnaya city
- Fixed typo in the controller guide
- Other minor fixes
I downloaded this update earlier and played a match and load times did seem faster. I made it to #20 in this game and when I returned to the lobby following my untimely demise, I was shown an option that indicated the match was still in progress and was giving an option to re-join. I figured this was a new spectator option to watch the end of the match. Turns out it just dropped me in the lobby where you wait for the plane to take you out over the map. I was unable to move around but I could track how many players were left and the timer on the matches map. I suspect this is an unexpected bug at this point.
Overall this is a fun game that presents several strategy options depending on where you begin each match. While I have never been a good FPS player on console, I am getting the hang of the control scheme.
This first big update arrives just a week after the games initial release so hopefully that is a good sign from the team and their approach to working through the bugs as the games move to console continues to move forward.