Welcome to Episode 138.
Getting back into a normal Wednesday recording routine today with this new episode to talk about some of the headlines in tech news.
I start off by talking a little bit about two classes I am currently enrolled in for school – Multimedia Development which uses Adobe Flash as a core platform and Web Page Development. I am getting to refine quite a few skills I have vaguely learned over the years thru trial and error so they have been fun to participate in these courses. Well worth the effort to go back to school.
I then discuss the adventure that has been WP 8.1 Developer Preview, reverting to WP 8, upgrading to WP 8.1 and Cyan and then the upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 Update. Yes, it is as confusing as it reads!
On top of those updates there is the issue around use of a preview and the impact that can have on folks even though they agreed to jump off that cliff voluntarily.
Some of the other areas I covered during this episode are:
- Windows Phone usage numbers
- Finding an unexpected memory on an Xbox
- PC sales forecast to grow
- People must trust tech to use it
- OneNote goes cross platform to Amazon Fire and gets updated on iOS devices
- Amazon shares drop upon debut of their Fire Phone
- Amazon’s cloud growth scaring investors
- Yammer now belongs to Office 365
- More Microsoft Stores on the way
- Windows Desktop and Windows RT
- Laywoman review of Surface Pro 3
- Cortana vs Siri is the new PC vs Mac
- Microsoft raided in China
- Kids App Store
- Nokia X phones not quite dead yet
- Family Plan Wars
- Selfie phone from Microsoft
- Soft-resetting a Windows Phone
- Microsoft starting to build Windows Phone technically speaking
- Uber and FitBit official apps land on Windows Phone
- Facebook diverging their app capabilities like Foursquare did
- Cortana knows Foursquare locations
- The morality of in app purchases
- Universal Apps
- USAA using IBM Watson as a military veterans advisor
- Atari Landfill documentary trailer
- EA Access
- HBO web based subscriptions
- Twitter grows big time in last quarter
- Ballmer purchase of Clippers close to completion
- Mars rover sets distance record among extraterrestrial machines
- Cloud storage nightmare with Box for one customer
- Best Buy CEO interview highlights
Until next time enjoy the show and thanks for listening.
- Download Episode 138
- Subscribe in iTunes
- Subscribe in Zune
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST RSS Feed
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST by Email
Date Produced: 30 July 2014
Format: MP3, 128KBPS
This PODCAST is a proud member of the TechPodcast Network.
All of this episodes show links are available at our WiKi – Show Links Observed Tech PODCAST Episode 138 #OTP