Last week Microsoft officially announced the GDR3 update for Windows Phone which is the next OS update for the companies mobile platform.
There were not a lot of details and much of the attention went to the Developer Early Access program that was announced at the same time. That program allowed registered Windows Phone developers to get immediate access to the GDR3 RTM bits.
Well this week Microsoft has posted more information about the GDR3 update on their Windows Phone 8 update history page so here is that additional info.
- Accessibility. We’ve made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
- Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what’s taking up space.
- Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.
- Screen. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn’t shift when you move your phone around.
- Wi-Fi. Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box—you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.
- Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
- Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you’ll know who’s texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things—text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.
- App switcher. Don’t look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you’re finished with them.
- Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.
I have been running the GDR3 update on my Nokia Lumia 920 for the last week and I have not noticed any issues with it or the device.
There is still no word when GDR3 will become available for the masses but yesterday Sprint began rolling it out to its HTC 8Xt Windows Phone users.