On top of the great numbers for Windows Phone handset sales their stock is surging today and has gone up around 17% in trading already today.
The numbers were part of overall info the company released as it prepared to announce its fourth quarter 2012 results.
Some highlights from that report include:
- Smart device net sales of approximately EUR 1.2 billion, with total volumes of 6.6 million units of which 4.4 million units were Nokia Lumia smart phones.
- Total smart phone volumes of 15.9 million units composed of 9.3 million Asha full touch smart phones, 4.4 million Lumia smart phones and 2.2 million Symbian smart phones.
- Nokia now estimates that devices & services has exceeded expectations and achieved underlying profitability in the fourth quarter 2012.
- Mobile phones business unit and Lumia portfolio delivered better than expected results; and
- Operating expenses were lower than expected.
These numbers were unexpected according to reports and the recent release of the Nokia Lumia 920 with the updated Windows Phone 8 operating system on it likely contributed heavily to the number of units sold.
The full results are expected to be released on 24 January 2013.