Last week in Barcelona, Spain during Mobile World Congress Microsoft shared that a new Facebook messenger app would be released for Windows Phone soon.
Well soon is apparently today as it hits the Windows Phone store.
The app is developed by Facebook themselves and offers the following features:
- Get to all your messages without having to open Facebook.
- Bring your conversations to life with stickers and send photos privately.
- Have group conversations and make plans on the go.
- Share your location so people know when you’re nearby.
- Know when people have seen your messages.
- See who’s using Messenger and who’s active on Facebook.
- Stay logged in so you never miss a message.
- Turn off notifications when you’re working, sleeping or just need a break.
- Never lose your conversation history or contacts.
Here are some screenshots as I got the app installed. It was nice to see it supports Facebook’s two factor authentication and the app is laid out in a very Modern App kind of way so swiping from right to left will reveal the various pages of the app.
Although it states in the features that you can turn notifications on and off I can not find where you can do anything with notifications except for in app options for sounds and vibration, which happen in app, on the settings page.
There is also no indication that it supports live tiles or push notifications.
These are really the type of features that should be nearly automatic with Windows Phone apps of this type.
Still I like the idea of not having to start up the full Facebook app to just see messages.
Download: Facebook Messenger for Windows Phone