Today the NPD Group released its monthly details about the sales of gaming consoles and both Microsoft and Sony took the chance to crow about their own console and its achievements.
According to NPD and Microsoft the Xbox platform (360 and One) achieved the following in November:
- 909,132 Xbox One units sold in nine days
- 101,000 Xbox Ones were sold per day in November
- Total spend on Xbox (includes Xbox 360 and Xbox One) was $1.21 billion – the most for any console in the US
- Xbox (Xbox 360 and Xbox One) held five of the top 10 games for the month
- Xbox One sold almost three times as many consoles as the Xbox 360
- Customers purchased an average of 2.1 games per console (retail and digital)
According to NPD and Sony the PlayStation platform (PS3 and PS4) achieved the following in November:
- The PS4 was the top-selling console for November
- PlayStation was number one in sales overall for home consoles
- Hundreds of thousands using the PS4’s integrated streaming capabilities
- Nearly 800,000 gameplay broadcasts
- More than 7.1 million spectate sessions streamed through Twitch and Ustream
- More than 20 million minutes of live game play
Interestingly enough no console sales numbers from Sony on the PS4 although they did recently report 1 million console sales in the first 24 hours and 2.1 million in the first two weeks.
Microsoft also recently reported that they have sold more than 2 million units in the first 18 days of Xbox One being on the market.
These numbers are just for November when both consoles were released but I will still stick with my prediction that the PS4 will outsell the Xbox One in the month of December.