Welcome to Episode 53 of the Observed Tech PODCAST.
In this show we talk about SpaceX and their successful launch; Yahoo entering and leaving the browser space in less than a week; potentially 500 million devices could be running Windows 8; deaths on cell phone towers; WordPress 3.4 coming soon; Facebook’s IPO shenanigans; the private space industry is here; need Windows Phone Mango to access marketplace now; fake Hotmail alerts and support phone calls from Microsoft; Paramount shares their video library with Amazon prime; buy a PC now and get a $15 Windows 8 upgrade later; Wall Street Journal comes to Windows Phone; Microsoft quietly releases their own social network; be careful when on a hotel’s Internet connection; faster booting Windows 8 PC’s; enhancing multiple monitors on Windows 8; farewell to Windows Zero on Windows 8; new apps for Windows 8 Release Preview for news, sports and travel; Windows Mobile is now a dinosaur with no marketplace; Microsoft Hardware turns 30; Ring of Fire eclipse video; Samsung Focus dominated first gen Windows Phone sales; help build the starship USS ENTERPRISE; Comcast bails on data caps and Jeff Fong, the mind behind the Metro Interface at Microsoft, named to Fast Companies Top 100 Designers in Business list.
We wrap up with a look at the past week on WindowsObserver.com.
Check out the notes below for links to all the sources.
Enjoy and as always thanks for listening!
- Download Episode 53
- Subscribe in iTunes
- Subscribe in Zune
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST RSS Feed
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST by Email
- My NASASocial SpaceX Tour Photos (flickr)
- Yahoo disables Axis Chrome extension after developer exposes security vulnerability (The Next Web)
- Microsoft: 500 Million Devices Could Upgrade to Windows 8 (Mashable)
- Deaths of Cell Tower Workers Grows With iPhone, Data Demands [VIDEO] (Mashable)
- 10 Things You Need to Know About WordPress 3.4 (Technosailor)
- Facebook stock manages to move up more than 3% on the day, holds steady after-hours (The Next Web)
- The private space industry has arrived: SpaceX has orders for 40 rocket launches, worth some $4 (The Next Web)
- Starting today you need Windows Phone 7.5 to use Marketplace (Nick’s ISV Blog on MSDN)
- Fake Hotmail alerts and support calls. Protect yourself and others! (Microsoft SMS&P Partner Blog on MSDN)
- Run, Forrest, Run! Paramount deal brings hundreds of new videos to Amazon Prime Instant Video (The Next Web)
- Microsoft to offer $15 upgrade to Windows Pro 8 (Tech Flash)
- The official Wall Street Journal Live app for Windows Phone is now available (WP Central)
- Hands-On With So.cl, Microsoft’s Social Search Site for Students (Mashable)
- FBI warns against hotel net connections (Security Tips & Talk Blog on MSDN)
- Designing for PCs that boot faster than ever before (Building Windows 8 Blog on MSDN)
- Enhancing Windows 8 for multiple monitors (Building Windows 8 Blog on MSDN)
- Creating the Windows 8 user experience (Building Windows 8 Blog on MSDN)
- Delivering reliable and trustworthy Metro style apps (Building Windows 8 Blog on MSDN)
- Windows 8 Release Preview to come with built-in News, Sports and Travel apps, powered by Bing (Liveside)
- Previous Story PSA: Windows Mobile Marketplace shutting down today (The Verge)
- 30 Years of Microsoft Hardware #MSHWturns30 (Windows Experience Blog)
- Spectacular ‘Ring of Fire’ Solar Eclipse Caught on Video (Mashable)
- Microsoft: 90% of first gen phones sold were the Samsung Focus (WP Central)
- Hey Space Geeks: Help This Guy Build a Real Starship Enterprise [VIDEO] (Mashable)
- PC Pitstop Newsletter – May 2012 #2 (PC Pitstop)
- Comcast to boost data limit to 300GB, test tiered approach (Geek Wire)
- Fast Company names Design Lead for Windows Phone as one of the most creative people 2012 (WP Central)
WindowsObserver.com Week in Review:
- Terra and Flora Dynamic Windows Themes Updates for 22 May 2012
- Fauna and Aqua Dynamic Windows Themes Updates for 22 May 2012
- Bing Maps Aerial Images of Europe Dynamic Theme Update for 22 May 2012
- SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch Windows Themes and Wallpaper
- First Ever NASASocial Rocket Launch Hosted on Google+ Hangout
- Windows Phone App Flow: Let’s Get Real
Date Produced: 24 May 2012
Format: MP3, 128KBPS
Google+ Hangout On Air of Episode 53 Recording
This PODCAST is a member of the TechPodcast Network.