Welcome to Episode 57 of the Observed Tech PODCAST.
What a week in the Microsoft world with the announcement of Microsoft Surface and Windows Phone 8 in the last 7 days! We will talk about those things and lots of other subjects in this week’s show.
We have some great security related posts to share about download sites misleading ads and phishing sites that are not banks; news about Facebook and editing comments; Twitter’s proposed Smoke Alarm notification system; the number of machines out there without any or disabled security software; whether the Xbox 720 document was for real; Audible.com comes to Windows Phone; Nokia announces exclusive apps and games for Lumia owners; e-book lending at your local library; Windows Live Essentials 2011 mandatory update for all except for XP users; LastPass password manager updated to 2.0; too much sitting can be bad for you; Microsoft has been enamored with tablets for quite a while; PC shipments expected to decline this fall and improvements in the Windows Phone Marketplace submission timeline.
We wrap up with a look at the past week on WindowsObserver.com.
Check out the notes below for links to all the sources.
Enjoy and as always thanks for listening!
- Download Episode 57
- Subscribe in iTunes
- Subscribe in Zune
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST RSS Feed
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST by Email
- 62% of Library Users Don’t Know They Can Check Out E-Books [STUDY] (Mashable)
- Facebook is now rolling out the ability to edit your comments (The Next Web)
- 17 percent of PCs have no anti-virus protection (MSDN Security Tips & Talk Blog)
- Consumer Alert- McAfee Releases Results of Global Unprotected Rates Study (McAfee)
- Amazon’s Audible.com brings 100,000 audiobooks to Windows Phone with its new app (The Next Web)
- Windows Phone 8 – What they didn’t reveal at the Summit (Liveside)
- Celebs Join “Smoke Alarm” Twitter Plan To Alert Users To The World’s Problems (All Twitter)
- With takedown notice, Microsoft verifies that the “Xbox 720” document was real (Liveside)
- Nokia Camera Extras and Play To out by tomorrow; Contact Share, Counters in July (The Verge)
- New Louisiana law requires sex offenders to disclose their crimes on social networks (The Next Web)
- Phishing- not just for banks (Microsoft Malware Protection Center)
- Windows Live Essentials 2011 QFE3 update now compulsory for all (except XP users) (Liveside)
- Interested in teaching Windows 8 (MSDN Microsoft UK Faculty Connection Blog)
- Surface for Windows RT is Microsoft’s New Windows 8 Tablet (Chip Chick)
- Video: Microsoft Surface keyboard/cover in action (Geek Wire)
- Windows 8 just got more context – Surface for Windows the blend between tablet and pc (Lowendahl’s Shout)
- The Complete Guide to Protecting Your PC with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) (Windows Guides)
- Why Sitting Too Much Is Dangerous (Mashable)
- Password Manager LastPass 2.0 Released (gHacks)
- Microsoft’s Long Love Affair With Tablets (All Things D)
- PC shipment forecast shrinks as Windows 8 approaches (Geek Wire)
- Keeping your family safer with Windows 8 (MSDN The UK Schools Blog)
- How deceiving Ads trick you on download sites (gHacks)
- Microsoft improving Marketplace turn around times (WP Central)
WindowsObserver.com Week in Review:
- Windows Phone App Flow: Low Riders and Sticky Floors
- When Twitter Is Down Where Do You Go?
- To The Moon Apollo: Mixed Reactions to the Windows Phone 8 Announcements
- Seeing the Passion in Microsoft Surface
- Microsoft’s New Tablet Floats to the Surface
- Celebrate NASA’s APOD 17th Birthday with a Windows Phone App
- Windows Phone App Flow: The Best of Old Media
Date Produced: 24 June 2012
Format: MP3, 128KBPS
This PODCAST is a member of the TechPodcast Network.