In a whitepaper published yesterday Microsoft discussed the increasing security challenges companies are facing to protect their information technology from new threats across the multiple channels in use these days including social media, mobile, cloud services and data.
While mobile, social media, cloud services and big data are reshaping markets, business models, and the way people access information, these technology trends are also bringing security challenges and even new threats to public safety. This paper explores new technologies and the cyberthreats they pose, while also explaining how organizations can gain greater agility and boost resilience with cybersecurity measures. It outlines how Microsoft helps organizations address cybercrime and help protect valuable information in an era of constant targeted attacks and determined adversaries.
This whitepaper focuses on Microsoft’s recommended three Pillars of Security:
- Detect – Security strategies focus on capturing, correlating and analyzing audit events from across the enterprise to detect anomalies that belie attacker movements. High value data and systems should profit from tools that can also detect 0-day attacks.
- Respond – The ability to respond to threats with incident response teams is essential to actively counter cyberthreats and get systems working again.
- Resilience – This can not be achieved against cyberthreats by one single component. It means improving basic IT hygiene to counter the opportunistic threats and make even persistent and determined adversaries work harder. In addition it requires managing risks effectively and deploying strategies against advanced adversaries.
In addition to sharing how Microsoft can help companies protect against cybercrimes they also provided the following sites for additional information and resources in those efforts.
- Guidance, tools and tips from the experts at Microsoft
- Microsoft Trustworthy Computing
- Microsoft Services
- Microsoft Security Development Lifecyle
- Microsoft Security Intelligence Report
- Microsoft Security Response Center
- Microsoft security for IT professionals
- Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit
Source: Microsoft Download Center – Achieving Resilience Against Modern Cyberthreats (1.4MB PDF)