Today Microsoft had the formal launch announcement for their second generation Surface hardware.
The event, which was held in New York City, was not live streamed to the general public so a lot of information curated in this blog post is from tweets and other resources that were provided during and after the event.
Here is info as I saw it emerge on Twitter and the live blogs:
- Video of today’s event will be posted at the Microsoft News Center later today according to Microsoft (via @MaryJoFoley).
Surface Pro 2
- 46% more color accuracy to the Surface Pro 2 ClearType HD display.
- Boosted speakers and added Dolby to Surface 2.
- Surface Pro 2 is faster than 95% of laptops on the market today.
- Graphics performance on Surface Pro 2 increased by 50%.
- Overall performance on Surface Pro 2 bumped up by 20%.
- Windows logo is gone from the back of the Surface Pro 2 – simply labeled Surface.
- Angle of Surface Pro 2 kickstand increased to better accommodate use on your lap.
- Surface Pro 2 battery life increased by 75% (approx 7 hours).
- Haswell processor in Surface Pro 2 which operates cooler and quieter.
- Surface Pro will start at $899.
- Four configurations: 4GB RAM/64GB storage; 4GB RAM/128GB storage; 8GB RAM/256GB storage and 8GB RAM/512GB storage
Surface 2 (formerly known as Surface RT)
- Labels this as an introduction as if it is a new device vice an upgrade of the Surface RT. Calls it a product revamp.
- Surface 2 is now available in a silver color. Word is that this will be the only color option for Surface 2.
- Increased CPU speed; runs 3-4 times faster than Surface RT; has Tegra 4 CPU improved bus, etc.
- Has USB 3.0 now.
- Added Surface logo to the device kickstand.
- Full 1080p ClearType display.
- 25% more battery life.
- Uses same injection molding process as Surface RT did but is thinner and lighter.
- Launches with Windows 8.1 as the OS.
- Last year launched with 10,000 apps; this year over 100,000 apps in Windows Store.
- Comes with Office just like Surface RT except Windows 8.1 adds Outlook to the suite.
- Surface 2 also has the two position kickstand like Surface Pro 2.
- Surface 2 docked can handle powering a 3840 x 2160 pixel display.
- Surface 2 will sell for $449.
- Two configurations with 32GB and 64Gb storage.
Both Devices and Accessories
- “Best of Skype” for one year includes free international calling and free WiFi hotspots.
- 200GB of SkyDrive for two years.
- Type Cover 2 (new colors are purple and pink) and is 1MM thinner and lighter than original Type Cover.
- Type Cover 2 is almost as thin as original Touch Cover and is backlit.
- Type Cover 2 comes out “next year” according to Panos Panay.
- Surface Power Cover adds 30w battery to device which adds 2.5 times battery life to Surface Pro 2.
- Surface Docking station provides 3 x USB 2.0; 1 USB 3.0; Mini DisplayPort; Ethernet; Audio In/Out and power. Available in “early” 2014.
- Touch Cover 2 is also backlit and now has 1092 sensors compared to just 80 in the original Touch Cover.
- Touch Cover 2 is also thinner and lighter than the first version.
- Type Cover 2 and Touch Cover 2 work on all Surface products.
- Surface Remix Project is available on 22 October 2013. It is a special edition cover that lets you remix your favorite music and share it and is in conjunction with Xbox Music. See http://surfaceremixproject.com/ for more info.
- Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 will be available on 22 October 2013 – just four days after GA of Windows 8.1.
Archived live blogs of the Surface 2 event
Post Surface 2 Announcement Resources
- Surface 2 Accessories – Visually (Windows Supersite)
- Surface Pro 2 – Visually (Windows Supersite)
- Surface 2 – Visually (Windows Supersite)
- Microsoft’s hardware, round 2: Surface 2 and Surface Pro (ARS Technica)
- Microsoft Reveals the Surface Pro 2 (Mashable)
- Surface 2: a closer look at Microsoft’s more refined tablet (The Verge)
- Announcing Surface 2, Surface Pro 2, and new Surface Accessories (Surface Blog)
- New Microsoft Surface peripherals steal the launch show (All About Microsoft – ZD Net)
- Microsoft introduces the Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 and Surface accessories (The Fire Hose)
Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 pre-orders can be placed beginning Tuesday, 24 Sep at 8 AM (Eastern Time) here – http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/pre-order and they will be available on 22 October 2013 in 22 initial markets. You can also place pre-orders in Microsoft Stores, Best Buy (US and Canada) and other select retailers in launch markets.
Surface Pro 2
Meet the new Surface