I discovered these tips coming from an MSDN blog yesterday called Dr. Z’s Blog and sent him a quick email to let him know I wanted to share these with you but also to find out his background.
Turns out Dr. Z is a nickname for Zhiming Xue who is a Microsoft Architect Evangelist in the Washington, D.C. area. His main areas of focus are Windows Azure, Windows Phone, the web and Windows 8. He helps by getting the word out about how they apply to the public business sector.
He has started a series of quick hitting tips on his MSDN Blog to help people with their transition to the Windows 8 Consumer Preview which was released last week.
As of this posting he has published 19 different entries and they are summarized below but you can subscribe to his blog’s RSS feed to see any new tips he publishes down the road.
- Win8 HowTo: 1. Switch Between Metro UI and Desktop Mode
- Win8 HowTo: 2. Switch Between Apps or Snap Apps
- Win8 HowTo: 3. How to Power Off Your Device
- Win8 HowTo: 4. Show and Access the Control Panel
- Win8 HowTo: 5. Show and Access Administrative Tools
- Win8 HowTo: 6. Show All Apps
- Win8 HowTo: 7. Switch Between Windows Accounts and Local Accounts
- Win8 HowTo: 8. Set up a Picture Password
- Win8 HowTo: 9. Set Up a Printer
- Win8 HowTo: 10. Customize Metro UI – App Tiles and Groups
- Win8 HowTo: 11. Install Language Packs for Multilingual Support
- Win8 HowTo: 12. Show and Use “Run” Command
- Win8 HowTo: 13. Show and Use cmd Prompt (DOS Mode)
- Win8 HowTo: 14. Show and Use PowerShell
- Win8 HowTo: 15. Show and Use Desktop Applications
- Win8 HowTo: 16. Install .NET 3.5 and Windows Live Essentials
- Win8 HowTo: 17. Add New Tab or New InPrivate Tab in Metro Style IE Browser
- Win8 HowTo: 18. Configure WiFi Connection and Airplane Mode
- Win8 HowTo: 19. Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives