It is good to see third party developers continuing to fill the gaps while we await the arrival of official apps for various social services.
Today we see a new app in the Windows Store that gives us a modern interface to interact with our family and friends on Facebook.
MINE for Facebook is developed by Marvin Apps and brings features that are missing from the built in Facebook functionality in Windows 8.
According to the details in the Windows Store listing for MINE for Facebook many of the features we are used to having access to on the Facebook website are available in this app:
- View your Facebook news feed.
- Comment, like & update your status, share a link, add a picture.
- View your friends’ profile pages, including their wall posts.
- Customize your feeds! Do you only want to see status updates? No problem. Do you want to see all the pictures, but only from a select group of friends? No problem.
- So, next to your regular feed, you can create custom feeds, allowing you to select exactly what you want to see from which friends.
- Update your Facebook status or share a link or picture from any application which supports sharing!
- Get notifications from Facebook right on your Windows start screen.
- Designed with Windows 8 in mind, for both touch & non-touch devices.
- Search Facebook from anywhere in Windows.
After testing the app out for a while the developer has really taken advantage of the Windows 8 OS to integrate the app into it with the system wide search as well as sharing options. This now means you’re your pictures can be easily shared right from the Charms Bar.
This is a first release version of the app so it is very capable for a .9 release although I have noticed some sluggishness in the Friend Search and some lag when moving between different elements of the app. I am hopeful the developer will sort these things out in the short term as they have a great opportunity to make huge inroads with users since there is no other Facebook app available for Windows 8.
I am looking forward to seeing future updates.