Welcome to Episode 29 of the Observed Tech PODCAST.
We are coming at you one day later than normal because of the NAS Jacksonville Airshow which I worked for three days and then I had jury duty yesterday. After catching up I just could not get the show recorded so you have it now for your listening pleasure.
I started the show off talking about today being Patch Tuesday for your Windows based clients and server systems. So after you fire up Windows Update you can continue to listen to the show where we talk about Andy Rooney’s death; pinning the Control Panel icon to your taskbar for quick access in Windows 8; possibility of Windows 8 becoming a base OS for Microsoft’s consumer products; 2005 YU55 Asteroid passed by Earth while recording the show; Google+ Pages launch; Amazon Prime users borrowing Kindle books now; Netflix on the new Nook Color; watching for Confirm Your Account scams; DuQu Security Advisory and workaround solution and fix; Spotify for Windows Phone 7 Hands on; relaxed hardware requirements for Windows Phone 7 devices; ChevronWP7 Unlock Tool for Windows Phone 7; AP Guidelines for Journalists and RT’s; Twitter features for Top News, Top People and Activity tabs; Commodore 64 Revived by Intel; share your printer on the Internet; hard drive prices going up due to flooding in Thailand; United and Continental adding Wi-Fi to flights next year; speed of USB 3.0 compared to USB 2.0; Wi-Fi Do’s and Don’ts; Samsung Focus S review; tips for creating great content; and our first appearance in the PC Pitstop newsletter.
As usual we wrap up with a look at the past week on WindowsObserver.com
Links to all the stories and sources are in the show notes below.
Enjoy and as always thanks for listening!
- RIP Andy Rooney- A look back at his classic Bill Gates rant (Geek Wire)
- Andy Rooney, RIP- 10 of His Best Commentaries [VIDEO] (Mashable)
- Pin Control Panel To Taskbar To Quickly Access Control Panel In Windows 8 (Into Windows)
- Could Windows 8 come to PCs, tablets, Xbox, and Windows Phone, all next year? (Liveside)
- Close Encounter- Huge Asteroid to Pass Within 201,000 Miles of Earth (Mashable)
- Google+ Pages Launch for Business (Miguel Carrasco)
- Amazon Prime users can now borrow Kindle books (NeoWin)
- Netflix Now On Barnes & Noble’s NOOK (NetFlix)
- Beware of “confirm your account” scams (Security Tips & Talk)
- Microsoft releases Security Advisory 2639658 (MSRC)
- Hands on- Spotify for Windows Phone 7.5 (WinRumors)
- Microsoft loosens hardware requirements and camera now optional (WP Central)
- ChevronWP7 team delivers tool for unlocking Windows Phones (All About Microsoft)
- New AP Guidelines For Retweets- No Opinions Allowed From Journalists (All Twitter)
- Twitter Adds New Search Features- “Top News” And “Top People” (All Twitter)
- Intel’s newest lands in an old standard- Commodore 64 (cNet)
- How to Share your Printer with Anyone on the Internet [Video Tutorial] (Digital Inspiration)
- 1TB hard drive prices skyrocket 180 percent due to Thailand floods (Digital Trends)
- United and Continental plan to roll out in-flight Wi-Fi during 2012 (Digital Trends)
- Yes, USB 3.0 is faster. A lot faster (Ed Bott)
- Wi-Fi security do’s and don’ts (Network World)
- Samsung Focus Flash- A Great Phone, An Awesome Price (Mashable)
- 7 Easy Steps for Creating Buzzworthy Content (Mashable)
- PC Pitstop Newsletter – November 2011 (PC Pitstop)
WindowsObserver.com Week in Review:
- Big Windows Phone Day in New York City
- Modern Warfare 3 Has Arrived
- Google Plus Starts Brand Pages With Well Known Names
- Battlefield 3 Lagging Behind On The Eve Of The Modern Warfare 3 Launch
- Kinect Sports Season Two Gets First Free Monthly Expansion DLC
- Microsoft Holiday Commercial Blitz Summary
- Apple Insider Says Microsoft Is Bringing In 100k Users A Day From An Easier Hotmail Setup In iOS
- This Middle School Welcomes Xbox 360 Games In The Classroom! Hello Microsoft DreamSpark!
- How Much Horsepower Does The Xbox 360 And PS3 Have Left-
- Remember Dialup Internet Service- Over 3.6 Million AOL Subscribers Still Do!
- Celebrating The One Year Anniversary….Kinect for Windows SDK Beta 2 Out Now
- Breaking- Got An Early Copy Of Modern Warfare 3- Don’t Play It Online Yet!
- HP Announces The Slate 2 Tablet
- Links Between Today’s Technology and Envisioning The Future
- Kinectimals for Windows Phone 7 Available
- Microsoft Named ‘Most Desirable Multinational Company’ of 2011 By Great Places To Work
- Microsoft Debuts Windows Phone Marketplace Extra
Date Produced: 08 November 2011
Format: MP3, 128KBPS
This PODCAST is a member of the TechPodcast Network.